[Life] NYC: The next chapter

Remodeling and Home Design
One of my Dad's reoccurring themes he likes to talk about is 'life as a series of milestones'. The idea that life is composed of a sequence of pivotal events/decisions/moments that alter the direction of your life course. Sometimes there is a fork in the road and you have to chose direction you want to go; sometimes the path you are on takes an unexpected turn leading you somewhere new; sometimes you get fed up with the "path" altogether and decide to venture off into uncharted territory. Either way, these events become milestones in life; markers that can be traced back, recalling how you got from where you started, to where you are now.

Looking back at my life, there are about a dozen major milestones that spring to mind: My first kiss. When I moved to Idaho after high school. When we got busted for climbing the building in Boise. My first lighting design class. Choosing a college. The road trip to Canada with Jon. When I moved to LA. My first apartment on my own. My first love. The reality show. The Europe trip.

As of this last weekend, my life has revealed the next big milestone. Since my sophomore year of college, it has been my plan that after I graduated, I would move to New York City to work for a cool design firm. I flew to New York last week to meet with some people and inquire about potential job opportunities. By the end of my trip I had met a handful of amazingly talented and inspiring designers and I was offered a position at a really cool design firm. I am excited now for my latest milestone:

When I moved to New York.

I now have about two weeks or so to pack up my belongings, find a place to live, say goodbye to my friends in LA, and start the next chapter of my life. The new job is at NemaWorkshop, the design firm from my last post. I got to go in and work there for a day before I left town and I can tell it's going to be a great place to work, I can't wait to get back out there. My blog should get more interesting. After this last week alone I already have a million new things I want to share.

Thank you for all of your love and support. Wish me luck!


  1. Best of luck with the move to NYC, Chris!

  2. Good luck! writing about our decisions helps in may ways. no regrets, always grateful for the good things, looking forward to more from you and your experience in NY

  3. looking forward to meeting you when you get here!